Friday, January 09, 2009

Gonna

I think the word "gonna" has earned its spot in the dictionary. But if you go to Merriam-Webster online, it ain't in there. TFD has it (as an informal word) because TFD is a lot hipper. Gonna is used so much that it must be accepted, even by the most fascist prescriptivists. Because, who really says, "I'm going to go out tonight," or, "I'm going to beat your ass." No one who was raised or has spent significant time in America (please correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't heard it anywhere I've been). Because if they did, they'd either be laughed at or you'd give 'em a double take, as you'd wonder if they weren't from somewhere else despite their American accent. So then, it's, "I'm gonna go out tonight," and, "I'm gonna beat your ass." Ah, doesn't that sound better? Liguistic prescription may have a couple of small merits, but come on already.

I guess I really just want to use gonna (among other words) in Scrabble, no matter the dictionary we choose to play with.



Note: "Hafta" is in the same boat.

Possibly Related Posts



Widget by Jack Book

0 comments:

Post a Comment